What you need to do depends on the type of animal and whether you were involved in an accident with it.

Report a car accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police if you hit any:

Donkeys and mules
You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

You can report any dead animals you find on the road to the local council.

This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

M3 Motorway

Should you be unlucky enough to hit or see an animal on the motorway, report it to Highways England on 0300 123 5000. The team at Kia who provide deceased animal collection for the Surrey Heath stretch of the motorway will scan for a microchip, once collected. 

Take to a vet

Should you be unfortunate enough to find a dead dog or cat on the highway and if you are equipped and able, please take to one of our local vets, who will take the animal from you and scan for a microchip.  

Please consider this may be someone's loved family pet and therefore make every attempt possible to take to a vet, or ask someone to take it for you.

You can wrap the animal in a dustbin sack, towel, or similar, to transport.  Wear latex or protective gloves (or use carrier bags as makeshift gloves) to handle the animal. Wear a long-sleeved top and trousers to avoid parasites if the animal has been deceased for any length of time. And avoid contact with the animal in this instance, with use of a shovel or similar if required. 
Always wash your hands afterwards.

Deceased birds

DEFRA gives out the following advice should you find dead wild birds: 

Do not touch or pick up any dead or visibly sick birds that you find.

In Great Britain, if you find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or other dead wild birds, such as gulls or birds of prey, you should report them to the Defra helpline (03459 33 55 77).

They can collect some of these birds and test them to help understand how the disease is distributed geographically and in different types of bird, not all birds will be collected. Wild birds are susceptible to a range of diseases and injuries and not all dead birds will have been infected with avian influenza.

Where dead birds are not required for surveillance purposes it is the landowner’s responsibility to safely dispose of the carcases. 

Where the bird is on public land, you can contact Surrey Heath Borough Council on 01276 707100, or alternatively go to their Website and Report a Dead Animal/Bird online.

If on private land, please follow the guidance below.

When to contact the Council

If you are unable to take to a vet, or if it is local wildlife, such as a dead fox or badger, you can also contact the Council. 

Please note, at present, it is not law for the Council to scan a dead animal for a chip and while they may do so, it is not guaranteed, so please always consider taking any pet found dead to a vet before contacting the Council.

For the removal of a dead animal from the public highway, especially if it is blocking a road, contact Surrey Heath Borough Council on 01276 707100, or alternatively go to their Website and Report a Dead Animal online.

Protected Animals

In the case of badgers, which are protected animals, the West Surrey Badger Group - Badger Rescue Team (telephone: 01483 811989) has to be notified.
Contact SHBC Environmental Services on 01276 707100 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to arrange the mobile team to deal with the task.

Animals on Private Land

Deceased animals on private land, whether they are domestic or wild, are the responsibility of the land owner. Surrey Heath Borough Council can remove any dead animal from domestic private property at a cost.
Please contact the Council for more information. Unfortunately, there are no discounted rates for this service.

Burying Wildlife

In the UK, you are permitted to bury animals (excluding livestock and horses) in your garden. It is acceptable to bury Wildlife (Non Protected Species - See above) on your property, if you have the facilities and space. 

However, you will need to bury the animal at least 2 feet down, which is the advisory minimum depth. The animal should be wrapped in something biodegradable such as newspaper or cardboard. Once properly buried, place something heavy on top of the refilled hole, such as a large plant pot or paving slab, in order to prevent scavengers from digging up the site.

You cannot legally incinerate a dead animal and can be subject to penalities if you do so.

Local amenity tips do not usually accept dead animals, as they can be classed as hazardous biological materials.